Thursday, December 11, 2008

27 Pounds of Common Cents

Benji came down the stairs this morning lugging my old piggy bank that I have had since I was little. I reached out and took it from her before she fell from the weight of it. She said that we need do empty it and do something with all the pennies. We proceeded to empty the contents of the bank out onto the kitchen counter. It took us quite awhile to empty it all out though the small hole in the bottom. Taking the pennies out of the bank reminded me of when my brother Ben and I were in elementary school and we would sneek out 5 pennies each to take to school. During lunch time after eating we would run down to the drug store in Thayne and buy us each a Charm sucker. They were in all different flavors and we loved them. The fun in buying them was that there might be a slip of paper under the wrapper saying, "free sucker". We would then receive another sucker. I remember a time when I received 4 or 5 free suckers! It was great!
I took the pennies back to the scale to weigh them. They weighed 27 pounds! We will put them all in penny rolls and get them back into currculation. We checked them over to see if there were any old ones. There were no wheat pennies. The oldest we saw was 1960. We found a few nickels, dimes and a quarter. There were a few other interesting items in it too as you can see from the picture above.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lucy said...

I really liked reading this post! I also love to hear about your childhood. I love you!!

Starbuck/Saul said...

Wow! 27 lbs! And that Krista sun thing is really strange. I wonder where that came from?!

Tory said...

Wow! I loved this post, I loved reading it. I can just see little you and little Ben "stealing" pennies! :)

Erin Rebecca said...

This one put a smile on my face! I remember where that piggy bank was in the house in Evanston! I love it when you tell us stories of when you were little! I would love to find out the story of the sun that has Krista's name on it! Weird! Love you lots!

Benji said...

Okay girls, The sun with Krista's name on it came from girl's camp at New Fork Lake in central Wyoming. It is from the year that Marva Seegmiller, LeRea Barker and I all stay together in our family tent. Our theme that year was "Let the Son Shine Through You" or something like that (probably a little more poetic with Marva around). We had so much fun. Erin if you weren't old enough to go, Krista B. wasn't either. So, maybe its another Krista. I have no idea why it was in Big Piggy! Maybe Krista would know.